The anime character of this week is Rias Gremory from the anime and manga series High School DxD. This red haired, green eyed beauty is a powerful character who has amazing magical powers. Also, she is very nice and dislikes cruelty. Here is a fandom link for more info about this amazing character: https://highschooldxd.fandom.com/wiki/Rias_Gremory.
Whether you have attended several conventions (I have been attending anime/sci fi cons for well over 20+ years) or this year will be the first time you’re attending one, these are a few tips for preparing to attend an anime/sci fi con based on my personal experiences.
- Make note of the day or days of the convention. This one may seem pretty obvious. However, I’ve had several friends who has missed attending a con because he or she forgot what day or days the con was.
- Pay attention to the posts on the cons social media pages and/or website. These posts usually contains information about the status of the convention, like registration fees, hotel reservations deadlines and so on. These are very important so check these posts often!!
- Have a budget plan. Conventions can be costly, especially if you’re going solo. If you can room with some friends at hotel room or commute a short distance to a con, you can save yourself a lot of money.
- If you’re going to cosplay (or crossplay) give yourself more time than you need to finish your costume on time. I recommend that if you need to buy materials online, try to get everything you need at least two months(or more) ahead in advance. Lately, there has been several delays on shipments from not only foreign countries, but items from here in the U.S. It’s always better to get your materials early than late. Also, the benefits of getting materials early is that, if the item doesn’t fit or work out for you, you can either get a refund or exchange for the item (depending on the company’s policy of course).
- Bring some over the counter medication like Aleve and Pepto Bismol with you. Aleve is a NSAID, which is a pain reliever. This is good not only for cosplayers but even regular attendees. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been in pain or discomfort from excessive walking or wearing cosplay shoes which, over time, gave me foot and other pains throughout my body. Pepto Bismol, Kao Pectate, or any other anti-diarrheal/anti-nausea is also recommended to bring to a con with you. The reason why is this: you eat or drink something at the con that your stomach doesn’t agree with. Instead of being stuck in the hotel room or a restroom for an hour (or hours depending on the severity), you take your anti-diarrheal medication which calms your stomach down. Now you can go back and attend your events as normal.
These are just a few recommendations I can think of right now. Are there some tips I missed that you can recommend on this list? Be sure to comment below.
This weeks anime character is A-KO from one of my favorite anime series from the past, Project A-KO. The first of four movies came out back in 1986. The story from the first movie is about A-KO just trying to live a “normal” high school life with her best friend C-KO. However, A-KO is not your ordinary high schooler. She has extraordinary strength and speed, and is constantly trying to make it to school on time with the speed of the road runner from Looney Tunes. Also, another student called B-KO has eyes for C-KO and constantly sets up A-KO with traps (like mechas and even other students. Wait until you see Mari!!).
To add to the craziness of this movie, there is also an alien invasion. Without giving away too much, the aliens are very unusual and there are some absolutely hilarious moments involving the aliens. In summary, if you haven’t seen Project A-KO, definitely check this movie out. This is one of the classic anime series that was aired a lot on the old Syfy channel on their anime lineup. Also, just recently, this movie just got a Blu-Ray release with a ton of extras. You can buy the Blu Ray version here.
The anime character for this week is one of my favorite anime characters from the past. Iria is a bounty hunter who has gadgets and weapons that would make Batman envious. Iria has a very tough job, hunting down the most dangerous monster in the universe, Zeiram.